• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Memories are made of this

Memories came flooding back when I received Focus, LSU Health Sciences Center Foundation newsletter.

"A Donation Worth 1,000 Words" (I liked the headline too) caught my eye. It said photographer Gordon Maxcy has donated 1,100 photographs to the LSUHSC Medical Library.

The photographs recorded the center’s milestones when he worked there for 30 years, retiring in 1982.

The item brought back many special thoughts because I was a young reporter covering medicine when Maxcy was shooting those milestones. It was in the 1960s and long before the school building was completed, even before there was a faculty, staff or students. Although personnel were added at a rapid rate, the lone person on staff when I initially roamed the beat was Dean Dr. Edgar Hull.

But back to Maxcy’s contribution.

"One highlight of his exceptional career was photographing the first heart transplant in Shreveport," said the newsletter.

The photos will be housed in the library’s Archives Room as the Gordon Maxcy Photograph Collection.

Anyone else have special memories of those first years of the school? Send ‘em my way and I’ll share.

2 Comments:

Blogger shanec28 said...

Dear Maggie,

It is with great regret that I am writing to let you know that my grandfather, Gordon Maxcy, passed away at 1:30am this morning after a brief illness.

Thank you for mentioning his contributions to the Medical arena in your blog.

Shane Cude

9:08 PM  
Blogger shanec28 said...

Dear Maggie,

It is with great regret that I am writing to let you know that my grandfather, Gordon Maxcy, passed away at 1:30am this morning after a brief illness.

Thank you for mentioning his contributions to the Medical arena in your blog.

Shane Cude

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home